Here are 16 Ways to Practice Functional Medicine as a Pharmacist:
- Integrate Functional Medicine in your existing role! You don’t have to change jobs or careers in order to start applying the functional medicine lens to help improve patient outcomes.
- Work in a compounding pharmacy. Most functional medicine physicians work closely with compounding pharmacists for products like BHRT or LDN, among other treatments. (Here’s a podcast on why they are essential in FxMed!)
- Start your own Functional medicine telehealth practice in your state as a pharmacist (take our course to learn how!)
- Join a team-based Functional Medicine telehealth practice as a pharmacist (see PharmToTable)
- Start a Functional Medicine telehealth practice as a “health coach” (proceed with caution: “There is a firm belief by most lawyers in this industry that, without a proper license in the state where the patient is located, coaches should not order, diagnose, or interpret lab tests.”)
- Become a consultant pharmacist and apply functional medicine principle for pharmacies and/or for doctors offices (we recommend the Pharmapreneur Academy to learn more)
- Develop an online course to teach about a specific niche you are passionate about (may combine with labs/supplements)
- Work in a physician office under collaborative practice agreement (here’s a great blog about them)
- Work in retail pharmacy and implement functional medicine principles where possible (download our Functional Medicine Pharmacist Quick Start Checklist)
- Work in a hospital and implement functional medicine principles where possible (download our Functional Medicine Pharmacist Quick Start Checklist)
- Work in nursing homes or with elderly populations and implement functional medicine principles such as deprescribing where possible (download our Functional Medicine Pharmacist Quick Start Checklist)
- Implement a Pharmacogenomics program with a focus on epigenetics
- Teach at a college of pharmacy and integrate functional medicine into the curriculum
- Write a blog/become an influencer in the functional medicine space and use affiliate marketing
- Open an online dispensary from a company like Fullscript, Wellevate, Kaewell, or Doctor’s Supplement Store.
- Create your own supplement line! Companies like Xymogen can “white label” their supplements with your branding on them. Or, you can create a custom line by working with a manufacturing company.
Do you have another unique practice model that should be listed here? Contact us and we’d love to hear about it! If you need help deciding on a path forward, join us for the Functional Medicine Pharmacists Bootcamp course.